Some of my wonderful bloggy friends have been doing lists. Lists of things that make them happy. And boy, it makes me happy just reading the lists of all those wonderful things. It certainly is a fun exercise! I think it would be fun to list 100 blogs that make me happy right here, right now! I could list 100 types of flowers that gladden my eyes and "fill up my senses". (John Denver, Annie's Song) I could list 100 songs that I absolutely love and I could list 100 people who have made and make my life beautiful. I could list my top 100 quotes, my top 100 foods, or my top 100 book list. You know, I may do that some day when I have a lot of time to recollect, rhuminate and resonate. Today won't be that day. But I would like to try and put out a mini list of sorts. I think a list of 10 is a great little start. So here is my list of 10 things that make me happy today!
1. I am so happy when I have a beautiful place to walk or hike. I had that today. There is a park in Sandy, UT called Granite Park. You take the trail and it leads you out to a long overlook where you can see for miles all over the City and you are overshadowed by the awesome mountains. It literally goes for miles. I walked there today.
2. I am happy that I can spend time with my Dad. He is 81 years old and at the twilight of his years. It's nice to just be around him and see how even at his late stage, he is still progressing in his life and being moulded by God into the person he is meant to be while on this earth. I believe in that, you see.
3. I am happy that I have gone through trials in my life because I now see that they helped me to become a deeper, more thoughtful, more insightful human being.
4. I am happy for humor! There is nothing better than to be caught by surprise at something that strikes you funny and then to let it out in a chuckle or a belly laugh. Ah, good for the soul. I did that today when I talked to my Dad, read a friend's blog and talked on the phone with my hubby!
5. I am happy for food! I love food! Why do we make food our enemy so often? I am here to tell you I would sacrifice 2 inches in my waist just to enjoy the food I like. Last night I cooked for my family and we ate. It was wonderful to be able to enjoy it with them!
6. I am happy that I didn't have to do the dishes last night. Do you know who did them? My Dad! I meant to go up and do them after I digested my food, but I was too late. He had already done them. My Mom had a keeper when she got him.
7. I am happy that the Olympics are almost over. They had me glued to the set a lot. Especially the speed skating events, and especially when Apolo Ohno skated. He is the only celebrity I follow on Twitter. Did anyone see him on Dancing With the Stars? I didn't, but am wishing that I did. He is the true epitome of an Olympian. Gracious, beautiful, charismatic and breathtaking.
8. I am happy for blogging! I never liked writing as much as I do now. Writing in high school was just another requirement, to be avoided if at all possible. (What is the minimum number of pages I can get away with writing? Maybe the teacher won't notice so much if I double space it!) What is it that makes expression in a blog so much fun? Knowing me, it's a phase and at some point, you'll wonder where I went. But right now, at this time, blogging is fun!
9. I am happy that Spring is just around the corner! I can feel it! You go outside and there is a certain smell. A smell of earth teeming with life just underneath its surface. It's going to bust! Yes, we had snow here in Sandy last night. But it was as if the snow was trying to make a last show of dominance, before retiring into inevitable submission.
10. I am happy for a loving and kind husband. He and I grew up in the same area, but never met until we both ended up here in Utah for the sake of our children. We've been through some hard patches, but those rough times are turning out to be just what the doctor ordered for a great marriage!
OK. I just can't make my list without this one last thing. So please humor me, if you will!
11. I am happy for my knowledge and belief in the Savior, Jesus Christ. He lives, you know. He is watching and waiting and hoping that we will turn to him and pray for his loving mercy and help. It is He is who I have leaned on in my times of great trial. He is why I am happy--even today!
5 years ago